Sunday, November 22, 2009

Fighting Addiction

Many people fight with addictions of all kinds, and through my own battle with addictions I learned a few things that I thought I would pass along in this article. And the ironic thing about me doing this is the fact that I'm in no way affiliated with any products that will supposedly help you fight addiction. Unless of course, fishing products will help you fight addiction somehow? No, my goal is to help you out a little bit. If just one person takes something from my experience to aid them in their own, then it was worth it.
For more than fifteen years I drank beer and smoked cigarettes everyday. At least a pack of cigarettes a day and probably an average of a twelve pack of beer a day. I didn't keep tabs on how much beer I drank, but a 12-pack had to be the average,. You know how it is. Some days only four or five beers, and on the good days eighteen to twenty four beers (yes, if I really got a good early start, I could power through a case by myself). In any case the point is I drank a lot of beer and choked down a lot of heaters.
Then I finally came to a point that I knew I had to walk away from both practices. They simply weren't working for me anymore. I woke up one day and realized I was right where I started 15 years before, and the only difference was that I had more debt! So I decided to walk away from both practices. No meetings. No pills or patches. Nothing but myself and a bunch of books. In the months leading up to this decision I had immersed myself in various spiritual texts such as the Bhagavad-Gita, and during the quitting process that trend continued.
The most important thing I learned from the Bhagavad-Gita was that fighting addiction wasn't going to work. I was going to have to love my addictions and be thankful for them. This was very important in my personal healing. I stopped being pissed at myself for being so weak, and began realizing that the entire process was something that I needed to go through, no matter what I thought about it. This is what I would suggest you do. Rather than getting upset with yourself, love yourself, as corny as that sounds.
Just remember, fighting addiction isn't going to help. I'm a fisherman, so I'll give you a fishing metaphor. When I caught the largest trout that I've ever caught, I had to remember that I couldn't force the fish to come in. I literally couldn't "fight" the fish like you can with smaller fish. I had to let the large trout tire itself out. I had to let it use it's strength against itself, rather than trying to overpower the fish. Eventually, after an hour long struggle, I landed my trophy trout that I had been trying to catch for 5 years! The point is I didn't land that trout by "fighting" it. I landed that trout by relaxing and letting the fish "fight" itself. I would suggest that you apply this principle to your addictions. Fighting them will only cause you to lose the trophy trout.
Trevor Kugler is co-founder of http://www.JRWfishing.com and an avid angler. He has more than 20 years experience fishing for all types of fish, and 15 years of business and internet experience. He currently raises his three year old daughter in the heart of trout fishing country…..Montana!
sign up for our FREE Ezine and get $10!!! - http://www.jrwfishing.com/signup.html

No comments:

Post a Comment