Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Hey! Do You Really Want To Quit Smoking? Then Read This

I smoked a pack of cigarettes a day for the better part if 15 years and walked away from them without the aide of any gum, patches, hypnosis, pills, or anything else and I want to share how I did it with you in order to help you do exactly the same thing. And here's the beautiful thing about my story: I'm not going to try to sell you anything that will supposedly "help" you stop smoking. I'm just going to give you my story and that's not going to cost you a penny.
The first thing to realize about all of this smoking business is that there is a lot of money in it. Not only for the tobacco companies, but for all of the companies that have "quit smoking" products. The industry is HUGE, on both sides of the transaction. What you've probably found, as I did, is that all of the articles that you read and news stories that you hear, drill into your head how difficult quitting smoking is. Therefore, we've all begun to believe exactly that, that quitting is going to be hard. You see, it's in all of the interested parties' best interest that you believe this fact. That way you're much more prone to spending your money in order to get their help.
The biggest part of me quitting smoking was to change what I believed about smoking and quitting smoking. This is what Johann Wolfgang von Goethe said of belief, "Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is." This is a very important quote to remember as we move forward towards a smoke free life. I had to change my belief about smoking. What was it that I believed? I believed that it was going to be difficult to stop smoking. I believed that a cigarette was a stress reliever. I believed that I liked smoking, after all that's what I told myself all the time. I believed that it wasn't going to kill me, otherwise why would I play Russian roulette with cancer sticks? I believed that I was powerless or close to it over the addiction to nicotine.
Those are all of the things that I believed while I smoked. I came to the conclusion that I had to change all of that. Because, after all a belief is simply a thought that we repeat over and over to ourselves. So I figured if I changed my thoughts about smoking, I could change the act of smoking, and do you know what? I was right, because as Wayne Dyer says, "You become what you think about, all day long"
So I decided to change the way I thought about smoking, figuring that if I did that, the beliefs that I had would change. When I heard people around me talk about quitting smoking, I just refrained from the conversation. I began to tell myself how easy quitting was going to be. How I had these cigarettes on the run, and they didn't control me. When I was smoking alone, I would actually hold the cigarette up, look at it, and say out loud, "I've got this. It won't be long".
This sounds corny, I know, but it's what I did while I continued to smoke. About six months passed and one day I reached into my pack to grab a cigarette, only to realize that it was my last one. I took out that cigarette, looked at it and knew that it was my last one. I smoked it and haven't had one since. I had successfully changed my thinking about cigarettes and smoking and now I'm a non-smoker. It was literally as simple as that. You see quitting smoking doesn't have to be difficult, it's simply as difficult as you think or believe it will be.
Trevor Kugler is co-founder of JRWfishing.com and an avid angler. He has more than 20 years experience fishing for all types of fish, and 15 years of business and internet experience. He currently raises his three year old daughter in the heart of trout fishing country…..Montana!
Catch More Fish With JRW!
FREE Fishing Tips & Advice PLUS $10 for your trouble!

No comments:

Post a Comment