Sunday, February 28, 2010

Getting Off Of Nicotine, It's Really Not That Bad

The entire fifteen years that I choked down heater after heater, all anyone ever told me was how I needed to quit and how terribly difficult quitting smoking was going to be. In the back of my mind, I never really bought into that line of logic. I always figured it was going to be as difficult to stop as I made it. I never bought into the fact that everyone else said it was going to be hard. And do you know what happened? After fifteen years of smoking, I walked away from cigarettes once and for All and it really wasn't all that hard. It was exactly as I thought it would be.
After finally quitting, I realized that the entire idea of quitting smoking is a huge business. And you trying, but not quite quitting means more money to the companies selling the products to help you quit. Not only that, but it's also in their best interest for you to believe that quitting is going to be all but impossible. You see, I found that what you believe about quitting is the most important thing. Not what drug you might take to help you quit. The power of belief is not only the major factor in quitting smoking, it's a major factor in your whole life. It's exactly as Muhammad Ali said of the power of belief, "It's the repetition of affirmations that leads to belief. And once that belief becomes a deep conviction, things begin to happen."
When your quitting smoking all you want is for things to begin to happen. You need to break the cycle of normalcy. You see for me it wasn't about being addicted to anything, it was about the fact that I had engaged in a practice every 45 minutes or so for fifteen consecutive years. Smoking cigarettes had become "normal" to me. So much so that I had a difficult time remembering what it was like to not be a smoker. I had to think back and remember that I wasn't always a smoker and in fact was in great shape at one time in my life. I had to think about how I liked being in shape, and never really liked smoking in the first place.
Quitting was about what I thought about quitting, and I thought it wasn't going to be that difficult. And as I said it wasn't. Were there times I wanted a cigarette? Of course there were (and still are), but I don't smoke any longer and simply tell myself that. I would want a cigarette (more so right after stopping) because it was normal to me to have a cigarette. That's all. Once I came to this realization, it was easier and easier everyday.
The bottom line is that you can do exactly what I did and be free of nicotine for the rest of your life. Don't buy into all of the hype surrounding quitting smoking. You don't need drugs or gum or patches, all you need to do is believe and change the way you think about smoking.
Trevor Kugler is co-founder of JRWfishing.com and an avid angler. He has more than 20 years experience fishing for all types of fish, and 15 years of business and internet experience. He currently raises his three year old daughter in the heart of trout fishing country.....Montana!
Gang Hooks Tied & Ready To Fish: http://www.jrwfishing.com/gang_hooks.asp
Get Fishing Tips & Techniques Twice A Month For FREE - http://www.jrwfishing.com/signup.html

No comments:

Post a Comment