Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Alcoholic? Do I Drink Too Much?

For many years I used to throw around the old joke referring to being an alcoholic that goes something like, "I drink a lot, but I'm not an alcoholic, because I don't like all of those meetings", or some such crap. Then I realized one day that I surely did drink a lot and wasn't happy at all. I suddenly began asking myself questions about how I was living and what I was doing. About the kinds of people I associated with and the kind of example I was setting for my daughter. These kinds of questions were foreign to a 34 year old man who was always under the impression that he couldn't necessarily "control" the circumstances of his life.
Was I actually an alcoholic? I don't know, all I know is that I most certainly drank too much. I drank beer everyday, I know that. I've heard addiction described as never getting enough of what you don't want, and I'm sure of the fact that it seemed as if I could never get enough beer. And guess what? I really didn't want to be drinking anyway, but hey everyone else drank and besides I had been doing it for the better part of 15 years. Not only had I been doing it for 15 years, I liked it! I liked drinking beer.
Once I began looking within myself and asking the questions mentioned earlier, sand suddenly didn't want to drink anymore. So I stopped. No meetings, no drugs, no nothing. I simply stopped drinking. Drinking simply didn't make sense any longer. I knew that I'd wasted more than enough time and energy drinking. And do you know how this has turned out?
I can't believe that I wasted so much time self medicating myself, when all of the answers I thought alcohol gave me were right here all along. Now I live my life as the good lord intended, without the aid of unnatural substances. My point to writing this article is simply to explain that it is possible to live without such things as alcohol in your life, and is actually much better. If a guy who used to drink an average of 12 beers a day for the better part of 15 years can walk away, without the aid of anything outside of himself and some faith, anyone can.
Trevor Kugler is co-founder of JRWfishing.com and an avid angler. He has more than 20 years experience fishing for all types of fish, and 15 years of business and internet experience. He currently raises his three year old daughter in the heart of trout fishing country…..Montana!
Start Catching More Fish!! - http://www.jrwfishing.com/FishingReports_Montana.asp
Become A Better Angler and get $10 For Your Trouble... - http://www.jrwfishing.com/signup.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment