Saturday, September 26, 2009

Am I An Alcoholic?

For much of my adult life, about 15 years, I asked myself this question a lot. Almost every morning, when I was taking a shower, this question would cross my mind. Then I would quickly dismiss it, because I was sure that drinking didn't really interfere with my life. After all, I never missed or was even late for work, and as far as the world was concerned, I handled my business and was fairly successful. Yet almost every morning the question would cross my mind, "Am I an alcoholic?"
I'm still not sure what an alcoholic actually is, and really don't care. All I was aware of was that I woke up almost everyday with some manifestation of a hangover. In fact this happened so often that it became completely normal to me. All I knew for sure was that I drank too much. Even though I went to work everyday and did a good job, but I also knew that I drank too much. How much is too much? I didn't keep a running tally of my consumption, but it had to average a 12-pack of beer a day. Some days more, some days less, but the average had to be 12 a day.
My life had gotten to the point that it more or less revolved around beer. Did I wake up in the morning and pop the top? No, but after work was done, I drank. On my days off, I drank. My free time was spent drinking beer and BSing with friends. I mean, why not? It's what everyone did right? Then I woke up one day and I was 15 years older. How did this happen, I thought to myself.
So I stopped drinking. I don't even know if I was an alcoholic, and don't really care. The truth was that I drank entirely too much and I felt like I needed to take my life in a different direction. It has ended up being the best decision that I've ever made. So, if you ever ask yourself the question, "Am I an alcoholic?", answer it sooner rather than later, so that you don't wake up one day and realize like I did that 15 years have passed.
Trevor Kugler is Co-founder of JRWfishing.com Trevor has more than 20 years of fishing experience, and raises his three year old daughter in the heart of trout fishing country....Montana.
http://www.jrwfishing.com - Start Catching more fish Today!!!!
Catch More Fish.... - http://www.jrwfishing.com/blog.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment