Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Are Addictions All In Your Head?

I realize a question like the one posed as the title of this article may ruffle a few feathers, but I have to explore it anyway. Why? Mainly because I battled addictions to both alcohol and cigarettes for more than fifteen years, and walked away from both of them a little over a year ago, and have realized some very important points in the process. Not the least of which is the fact that I realized that being addicted to these substances was all in my head.
Before I continue, let me qualify myself by letting you know just how much I drank and smoked. On a given day I would smoke at least a pack of cigarettes and drink at least a twelve pack of beer. Did I keep track of these numbers during that time of my life? No, but those have to be the averages. I know I was constantly buying either beer or cigarettes, and neither one was far away from me at all times. So you can make the determination for yourself of whether or not I was addicted to these two substances.
The point of the matter is that I walked away from both substances the moment I started believing it was possible. For many years I didn't believe that It was possible or necessary to quit, but as soon as I changed what I believed, the actions changed. I always knew deep, down in my soul, that I didn't like drinking or smoking. I mean really, who likes waking up with a hangover or getting winded from walking up a flight of stairs? While I was still drinking and smoking I began telling myself how easy how easy it was going to be to walk away, rather than telling myself how difficult it was going to be. You see, most people talk about how difficult these things are going to be, and what happens? They are difficult. So I did just the opposite.
After about six months, both practices had become more of a pain in the butt than I wanted to deal with. I didn’t want to smell like an ashtray anymore. I didn't want to wake up hung over. I wanted to start getting up like the birds do…in the morning. One day I had only one cigarette left in my pack and rather than planning to buy another pack, something inside of me said, "Your done". And I quit. I cheated a few times over the next few weeks, but knew I had it. I didn't want to be a smoker anymore.
The same thing happened with drinking. Now I don't do either one. Do you know what else happened as a result of this shift in thinking? I stopped hanging around people and places that thought these things were cool and okay. None of this was a conscious choice, but rather something I felt I had to do. And I've never been happier. All because of the fact that I realized it was all mental and simply changed my thoughts.
Trevor Kugler is co-founder of http://www.JRWfishing.com and an avid angler. He has more than 20 years experience fishing for all types of fish, and 15 years of business and internet experience. He currently raises his three year old daughter in the heart of trout fishing country…..Montana!
Become A Better Angler and get $10 For Your Trouble... -
http://www.jrwfishing.com/signup.html

No comments:

Post a Comment