Thursday, October 22, 2009

Beating Addiction

Many people are interested in beating some sort of addiction. There are more "addictions" than can be listed here. The point is that there are literally hundreds of substances and practices that people find themselves addicted to. The subject of addiction and beating addiction is quite literally a billion dollar industry. I myself smoked cigarettes and drank alcohol heavily for the better part of 20 years, so I suppose I have some experience with the subject of "being addicted". I also have some experience with beating addiction, seeing as how I walked away from both practices.
The single biggest thing I learned through the process of beating my addictions was to not buy into all the hype. What do I mean by this? What I mean is that it seems like everywhere you turn you see or hear someone telling you how difficult beating addictions is going to be. I found out that this was all hype, usually designed to sell me something. Rather than listening and buying into all of this hype, I simply went in a different direction.
I chose to tell myself how easy stopping both practices was going to be rather than how difficult it was going to be. I did this for at least six months before I actually stopped. There were no timetables in place, I just tell you that for reference. I simply stopped buying into all of the hype.
Soon the allure of both practices began to fade. I started noticing how stinky cigarettes were, and how much they made my clothes stink. I started hating waking up with a hangover. I started liking the fact that I drank so much, less and less. With me not buying into or believing all the hype about how difficult beating my addictions was going to be, the act of actually engaging in the addictions was becoming more and more of a struggle.
Soon the day came when I said to myself, "I'm done", and with that, there was no longer a battle. I've heard it said that addiction is defined as never getting enough of what you don't want in the first place. This is exactly what my addictions were to me. I never really wanted to drink or smoke in the first place, then one day I woke up and the better part of 20 years were gone (or at least that's how it seemed). My entire point to this article is to let everyone know that beating addiction isn't nearly as difficult as it's sometimes made out to be. If I did it, anyone can do it.
Trevor Kugler is co-founder of http://www.JRWfishing.com and an avid angler. He has more than 20 years experience fishing for all types of fish, and 15 years of business and internet experience. He currently raises his three year old daughter in the heart of trout fishing country…..Montana!
Become A Better Angler and get $10 For Your Trouble... - http://www.jrwfishing.com/signup.html

No comments:

Post a Comment